Cardinal George Pell, who was deemed too ill to fly to Australia for the child abuse royal commission, has been spotted out and about in Rome downing a large beer and a hearty meal.
Australia’s most senior Catholic stated that he was unable to travel overseas as the long flight would put him at risk of ‘heart failure’.
The 74-year-old Cardinal was spotted drinking beer and enjoying a lunch of steak and chips at a restaurant in Rome on April 18, leading one heart-broken mother to slam his medical report as ‘bunkum’.
Ruth Lane’s six children all fell victim to the abuse of a clergyman in Ballarat with her second eldest son, John, even taking his own life.
She told the Daily Mail she was ‘disgusted’ by the photographs of Cardinal Pell.
“He’s doing that even with a bad heart?” she said.
“I am absolutely disgusted because he is protecting the church, he doesn’t care about the survivors or the victims.
“He does not give two hoots and they are all sticking by him, you wouldn’t be doing that if you had a bad heart, absolute bunkum.
“They are all sticking together, they don’t give a damn about the survivors and their families they are laughing at us," Mrs Lane added.
Cardinal Pell gave evidence via video link in February and March and expressed his regret for not doing more when he heard "unfortunate rumours" of sexual abuse and physical violence being perpetrated by a Christian Brother in the Ballarat region in the early 1970s.
Cardinal Pell said he had been approached by two students at St Patrick's College in Ballarat who raised issues relating to Brother Edward Dowlan.
Cardinal Pell told the hearing that he had discussed the matter of Dowlan with Father Brendan Davies.
But after being assured that the Christian Brothers were dealing with the issue, he had taken it no further.
- George Pell : 'It was an extraordinary world of crimes and cover ups'
- Pell's claim he was deceived 'is wrong'
- Cardinal George Pell fires back over 'outrageous' child abuse claims
He later learnt that Dowlan, who has been convicted of sex offences against more than 30 boys, had been transferred to another parish in about late 1974.
"There were rumours, it was always vague and non-specific," Cardinal Pell told the commission on a video link from Rome.
"In light of my present understanding...I would concede I should have done more.
"I regret that I did not do more on that subject."
He repeatedly rejected suggestions that his explanation for failing to take appropriate action in response to allegations was implausible.
Cardinal Pell previously said he would not resign from his position.
'I wouldn't resign as that would be taken as an admission of guilt,' Cardinal Pell said.