Boy, 9, ignites grass with blowtorch amid raging NSW bushfires

A nine-year-old boy has admitted to lighting a fire with a blowtorch as bushfires rage throughout the state, according to NSW Police.

The boy, due to his age, was warned under the Young Offenders Act after a small grass fire broke out behind a street in Nowra on the South Coast about 11.35am on Tuesday.

Police say the boy, who was with a group of other children, admitted to lighting the fire with a blowtorch.

The total state-wide fire ban remains in place and has been extended into Wednesday.

It means people cannot light, maintain or use a fire in the open, or carry out any activity in the open that causes, or is likely to cause, a fire.

Pictured is a Tuncurry firefighter extinguishing part of the Hillville bushfire south of Taree. Source: AAP
A firefighter extinguishing a bushfire south of Taree. Source: AAP

Three other men also allegedly breached the total fire ban as a catastrophic fire danger rating – the highest possible level – is in place for the Greater Sydney, Greater Hunter and Illawarra-Shoalhaven regions.

Police allege the first incident saw a 27-year-old man light a small campfire at Wallacia in Sydney's west on Monday afternoon to boil water for cups of tea.

He immediately extinguished the flames when police and firefighters arrived, and was issued an on-the-spot $2,200 infringement notice.

Hours later, police were called to a home at Prestons in Sydney's southwest, where a 35-year-old man allegedly burned fence palings in a cylindrical barbecue.

Fire crews tend to a bushfire in Nana Glen, near Coffs Harbour. Source: AAP
Residents in several NSW regions are being told it’s too late to leave. Source: AAP

"Embers from this fire fell to the ground and ignited palings, causing a secondary blaze," NSW Police said in a statement.

Both fires were extinguished and the man was also issued an infringement notice.

The third man will face court after he allegedly lit a small coal barbecue at a Lalor Park home in Sydney's west in the early hours of Tuesday morning.

Fire and Rescue NSW extinguished the fire and the 46-year-old man was arrested for failing to comply with a total fire ban and breach of bail.

Do you have a story tip? Email:

You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter, download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play and stay up to date with the latest news with Yahoo’s daily newsletter. Sign up here.