A five-year-old boy has collapsed and died after drinking ice cold water while playing with friends in 40 degree temperatures.
Samir Mohamed was riding his bike in the Egyptian city of Tanta, located between Cairo and Alexandria, when he stopped to take a drink of water.
However, the young lad reportedly collapsed and died before he reached hospital with doctors saying a sharp drop in blood circulation caused his untimely death.
Cardiovascular consultant Dr Alaa el-Ghamrawy said drinking iced water can have a catastrophic effect on the heart rate.
“The sudden drinking of very cold water, especially after exercise, could lead to stimulation of the Vagus nerve, which is main nerve that controls specific body functions including heart rate, and could lead to irregular heartbeats or cause them to stop, and therefore endanger the person’s life,” the heart expert told local media.
The doctor also said that drinking iced water can cause a sore throat and stimulate bacterial and viral infections.
Tanta University Hospital reportedly received the boy’s body on July 24 and carried out an autopsy before handing it over to his family for burial.
Family sues TikTok after daughter dies from blackout challenge
The five-year-old’s death comes after a young girl from the US allegedly died while participating in the viral "blackout" challenge.
Arriani Jaileen Arroyo, from Wisconsin, died by "self-strangulation", the family's lawyer said and was found "hanging by her dog’s leash" by her little brother.
It’s alleged Arriani attempted the challenge — which encourages users to choke themselves until passing out — after becoming "obsessed" with the social media platform.
"This is not easy, to wake up every day and know that your little girl is never coming back," Arriani's mum Christal Arroyo Roman told Good Morning America.
Do you have a story tip? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.