A toddler has managed to pierce his brain with a skewer in a freak accident while chowing down on a sausage.
The one-year-old boy fell over while eating the snack, landing on its 10cm skewer, which entered his nose and pierced into his brain, Jiangsu News reported.
The child was rushed to hospital in the Chinese city of Huai'an on Sunday where surgeons successfully managed to remove the 10cm bamboo skewer, 1cm of which had been lodged into his skull and in his brain.
Surgeons said the skewer had thankfully missed vital cerebral vessels, which if were penetrated, would have proven life-threatening.
After immediately entering surgery on his arrival at the hospital, it took just 20 minutes to remove the skewer.
The incident has prompted a warning from Chinese state media about the dangers posed by sharp objects around children, urging parents to be vigilant.
Weibo users in disbelief over lead up to freak injury
The boy's close shave quickly went viral on Chinese Twitter-like site Weibo on Friday, with a related hashtag garnering 15 million views.
Many questioned why such a young child was allowed to hold a skewer or even eat a sausage in the first place.
"My family never ate sausage until they were four years old, let alone let their children hold dangerous items such as bamboo sticks," one person wrote.
"Horrible. Some parents have such poor safety awareness," another said.
"Scary," one comment read.
Many said they feared a similar accident every time they see a child holding food served on a stick.
Do you have a story tip? Email: email@example.com.