New South Wales Police and Australian Federal Police say a Joint Counter Terrorism Team (JCCT) investigation has confirmed that threats have been made against police and against a prayer hall in Sydney.
In a press release, NSW Police said investigators from the JCCT had been sent overseas in the wake of the arrests of two men in Sydney earlier this week.
"As a consequence of those ongoing investigations, further information obtained has indicated a number of targets on Australian soil," the statement said.
"Those investigations have verified information that there were threats to police and also a prayer hall in Sydney.
"There was no specified threat to a police facility or officer.
"The JCTT has confirmed the proposed threat to the prayer hall was abandoned. Investigators will continue to verify a range of information that has been obtained."
Omar Al-Kutobi, 24, and Mohammad Kiad, 25, were arrested on Tuesday when anti-terrorist police raided the converted garage they were living in in Fairfield.
The men have been charged with undertaking acts in preparation or planning for a terrorist act.
Police said a search of the property revealed a machete, a hunting knife, a home-made flag representing the proscribed terrorist organisation Islamic State, and a video in which one of the men allegedly talked about carrying out an attack.
Deputy Police Commissioner Catherine Burn said the video allegedly seized in the raid was what made police believe an attack was imminent.