It's good news for plumbers and electricians, who have emerged as the nation's highest-paid tradies.
The average rate for a plumber is $85.57 an hour, and sparkies are charging $77.59 an hour for their services - up significantly on last year, new figures suggest.
Aussie tradies across the sector are cashing in, with the average hourly rate earning $61.91, up $1.03 on last year, according to The Tradie Rich List 2017 provided by job quote website www.serviceseeking.com.au.
Victorians experiencing leaky taps will need to fork out the big bucks, with the state's plumbers charging the most of any tradie across the country, at $91.21 per hour, the figures show.
- 'They are getting their wage': Pauline Hanson supports penalty rates cut
- 'Bugger going back to work!' Six tradie mates win $16.4 million lottery
The 21 per cent surge is a stark comparison to plumbers in South Australia, who have reported a two per cent drop at $80.90 an hour.
Also dipping in South Australia are tilers whose incomes have dropped 30 per cent to $37 per hour in the previous 12 months.
Tilers in Brisbane are charging 65 per cent more at $62.18 per hour, due to a large surge in local demand for tilers, Serviceseeking believes.
The survey of 52,000 quotes submitted during the FY18 Q1 through ServiceSeeking.com.au show hourly rates have risen four per cent across all trades.
Queensland and NSW have seen the largest growth of the rise, at nine per cent.
Hourly rates cover not only the cost of labour, but also take into account business overheads like insurance, tools, work vehicles, and superannuation, according to Serviceseeking.com.au.
Tilers in Brisbane are charging 65 per cent more at $62.18 per hour, due to a large surge in demand for tilers, Serviceseeking believes.
1. Plumber $85.57
2. Electrician $77.59
3. Builder $67.83
4. Carpenter $61.28
5. Tiler $55.85
6. Landscaper $54.16
7. Plasterer $48.58
8. Painter $44.42
Tradies that have increased their hourly rates since 2016:
- Plumbers in VIC up 21% at $91.21/hour
- Plumbers in NSW up 16% at $85.98/hour
- Builders in SA up 29% at $77.76/hour
- Electricians in SA up 26% at $79.13/hour
- Plasterers in Perth up by 20% at $59.29/hour
- Painters in Adelaide up by 18% at $47.68/hour
Tradies that have decreased since 2016:
- Plumbers in SA down by 2% at $80.90/hour
- Tilers in SA down by 30% at $37.00/hour
- Source: serviceseeking.com.au