A young father died in front of his daughter after suffocating when he fell face down on a beach following a medical episode.
Andre Bradshaw, 25, died in June walking along a beach north of Wellington in New Zealand with his two-year-old daughter Skyla. The father, a builder by trade, suddenly collapsed on the sand and was found unresponsive by a fellow beachgoer. Paramedics who rushed to the scene were unable to save him.
A coroner in New Zealand has now revealed the cause of Bradshaw's death, bringing closure to his devastated family.
Coroner Mark Wilton found Bradshaw had died from asphyxia by sand, The New Zealand Herald reported. Sand was found inside his windpipe and lungs.
A post-mortem determined a seizure-like disorder suffered by Bradshaw had likely contributed to his collapse. He was also sick with three viruses at the time and had been prescribed medicine for back and neck pain the night before his death.
Young dad remembered as 'kind and wonderful'
Following his death, Skyla's mother Meya said family and friends were in "complete shock". She had last seen Bradshaw just 20 minutes before his death.
"Skyla was everything to Andre and Skyla will always look up to her Dada," she wrote on a fundraising page for her daughter's future. Bradshaw's guardians as a child told NZME he was a "kind" and "wonderful" person.
The confirmation of the cause of death comes as Josh Taylor, also 25, died days after being pulled in a critical condition from a collapsed hole on a beach on Queensland's Bribie Island.
Do you have a story tip? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.