- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
Pet owners have been cautioned to keep an eye on their pets around the Woolworths Discovery Garden after some of the plant varieties were identified as toxic to cats and dogs.
The latest collectable from the supermarket giant was released earlier this month after the popularity of the first Discovery Garden seedling kits in 2019.
There are 24 herbs, flowers and vegetable seedlings available. Woolworths customers able to claim one pod for each $30 spent in one transaction.
However, it has been revealed that some of the plants can be harmful if ingested by pets.
Discovery Garden seedlings Toxic to pets
The following seedling pods in the Woolworths Discovery Garden have been advised as not pet friendly.
Dianthus: is considered mildly toxic to dogs and cats
Poppy: toxic to dogs and cats
Lavender: toxic to dogs and cats
Swan River Daisy: toxic to dogs and cats
Bunching Onion: toxic to dogs and cats
Cherry Tomato: plants and unripe fruit are mildly toxic to dogs and cats
Oregano: mildly toxic to dogs and cats
Chives: mildly toxic to dogs and cats
In 2019, fans of the Discovery Garden Kit were cautioned not to ingest large amounts of Snapdragons, one of the seedlings provided and advertised as edible, with NSW Poisons Information Centre advising the plant is considered “Inedible matter”.
Woolworths responded at the time, advising snapdragons were not recommended to be consumed in large quantities.
Woolworths Discovery Garden 'safe for human consumption'
A Woolworths spokesperson told Yahoo News Australia the supermarket doesn't encourage pet owners to feed furry family members from the Discovery Garden, but assured fans the seedlings' produce is safe for humans to consume.
"While the herbs and vegetables in the Woolworths Discovery Garden are perfectly safe for human consumption, we discourage customers from feeding or allowing their pets to consume the flowers, herbs, or vegetables in the collection," a Woolworths spokesperson said.
The supermarket giant advised customers to seek veterinarian advice if they are unsure what foods are suitable for pets.
Do you have a story tip? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.