Woman nearly dies after injecting herself with fruit juice


An alternative medicine enthusiast has been rushed to hospital after she injected the juice of 20 different fruits into her bloodstream using a homemade intravenous drip. 

The woman known as Zeng, 51, a resident of Guiyang county, in China’s southeast, was said to be perfectly healthy when she decided to create a mixture of 20 fruit juices and inject them into using an intravenous drip. 

However, Zeng’s temperature began rising and she began feeling itchy. She did nothing about her symptoms though. 

It was only when her husband noticed she looked ill and he found out about the drip that she was taken to hospital. 

Zeng, a Chinese alternative medicine enthusiast, was rushed to the intensive care unit after using a home IV drip to inject the juice of 20 different fruits into her bloodstream. Source: Australscope

She was first taken to the country hospital before being transferred to the intensive care unit of the Affiliated Hospital of Xiangnan University. 

The doctor who treated Zeng, Liu Jianxiu, told local media she has suffered severe infection as well as damage to her heart, kidney and liver. 

Dr Jianziu said the woman was at risk of dying from multiple organ failure and sepsis. 

The 51-year-old’s blood was cleaned of the juice using dialysis and doctors prescribed her antibiotics as well as injecting her blood with clotting agents. 

After five days in intensive care she was moved to a kidney unit as her condition had improved. 

The woman didn’t believe injecting fruit juice into her body would do any harm. Pictured a glass of orange juice. Source: Getty Images (file pic)

The patient told reporters that she thought fresh fruits “were very nutritious and it would not do me harm by injecting them into my body”. 

Dr Jianxiu said injections into a vein could cause death as well as liver and kidney damage. 

In other recent medical news, a Belgian man made headlines around the world after a medical report emerged about his death from eating leftover pasta.

The man, known as AJ, ate five-day old spaghetti with tomato sauce which had been kept at room temperature, according to research published in the Journal of Clinical Microbiology. 

In September last year, a car crash victim developed bizarre side effects from her medication.

Australscope

Do you know more or have a story tip? Email: y7newsroom@yahoo7.com.au.

You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter and stay up to date with the latest news with Yahoo7’s daily newsletter. Sign up here.