A woman claims she recently experienced her “worst nightmare” after her husband almost ate a moth found in a packet of Woolworths brand unsalted mixed nuts.
“As my hubby and I were eating the nuts, he pulled out a dead moth,” Marie Bennetti told Yahoo News Australia.
An image shows the moth surrounded by a handful of nuts on a counter.
“I am absolutely terrified of any type of moth. I screamed and shuddered at the very thought of me pulling it out of the bag,” Ms Bennetti said
Ms Bennetti said moths are her biggest phobia and she was just happy it wasn’t her who pulled the it from the packet purchased from Cowes Woolworths in Victoria.
“Lucky that I wasn't the one who's hand it was in because I think I would’ve had nightmares,” Ms Bennetti said.
“I would’ve had a heart attack if I had even touched that moth let alone put it in my mouth, which my hubby almost did,” she added.
Woolworths responded to Ms Bennetti’s claims, apologising and offering her a full refund with the promise of a $10 voucher to make up for the unfortunate incident.
The supermarket giant told Yahoo News Australia this was an isolated incident and assured Ms Bennetti they would investigate to ensure it doesn’t happen again.
“We are not aware of any further reports of a similar nature at this time,” a Woolworths spokesperson said.
“At Woolworths we take food safety and quality very seriously, we’ve contacted the customer to apologise and have arranged a full refund”.
The unsettling find comes days after another Woolworths customer found a dead butterfly inside of a bag of Sunrice brand Australia medium grain rice.
While Ms Bennetti is happy to return the packet to the store for a refund, she said it will be her husband doing the heavy lifting.
“I will be taking their nuts back, plus the dead moth but my hubby can carry that,” she said.
Do you have a story tip? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.