Woman almost loses sight after scratching her nose leads to skin infection

A mother-of-two nearly went blind after scratching her nose because of a nasty itch caused by a skin infection that ravaged her face.

Manchester community nurse Anita Clark, 50, was terrified when her face doubled in size and a massive blister developed across both cheeks.

It started after a day of gardening, when Clark was feeling ill and went to bed early.

Nurse Anita Clark, from Manchester, had a skin infection scare. Source: Caters
Nurse Anita Clark, from Manchester, had a skin infection scare. Source: Caters
After a day of gardening she woke up to discover her face was red and swollen. Source: Caters
After a day of gardening she woke up to discover her face was red and swollen. Source: Caters

The next day she was rushed to hospital after her face rapidly began to swell.

Doctors diagnosed her with a life-threatening skin infection called Cellulitis.

Her face became swollen to twice its normal size. Source: Caters
Her face became swollen to twice its normal size. Source: Caters
Cellulitis caused swelling and a rash. Source: Caters
Cellulitis caused swelling and a rash. Source: Caters

The condition can cause sepsis or kidney damage if not treated quickly.

It took nine days on antibiotics in hospital and five weeks of recovery for the swelling to go down, but the woman made a full recovery.

Ms Clark was in hospital for nine days. Source: Caters
Ms Clark was in hospital for nine days. Source: Caters
It took five weeks for the swelling to go down. Source: Caters
It took five weeks for the swelling to go down. Source: Caters

"I was terrified, I wondered if my face would ever go back to normal," she said.

"So much fluid had built up around my face, there was no way of telling if it had gone into my eyes.

"I could have gone blind."

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting