Watch: Workman's lucky escape after gas pipe explosion while installing fence
A workman had a miraculous escape after a gas pipe explosion blew him into the air.
Video footage captured the shocking moment the man, believed to be a fencing contractor, was thrown by the blast.
The clip shows him stagger away, apparently unhurt, after the explosion.
It is believed he was installing a fence post using a machine at the time. It is understood that the contractor was not badly hurt.
The incident happened on a farm in the village of Wessington, near Alfreton, Derbyshire, on Tuesday morning.
Residents from 30 homes nearby had to be evacuated after the gas leak.
Firefighters and gas experts attended the scene and access to the area was blocked for several hours.
In the footage, the contractor is carrying out some work on a farm off Brackenfield Lane when there is a loud explosion.
Alan Brown, who captured the dramatic video on his home CCTV, said: "It’s my property to the edge but the field belongs to the farmer.
"The guy in the video is apparently a fencing contractor to the farmer. In some of my longer footage you can see him running down the field so I think he’s okay."
Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service said that the risk of the leaking gas igniting meant residents would have to stay away from their homes for several hours as the scene was made safe.
The gas distribution network Cadent confirmed that the damage was caused after the gas pipe was hit by a "third party".
A spokesperson said: "Cadent engineers worked through the night on an emergency repair after a pipe was hit by a third party on Brackenfield Lane in Wessington on the morning of 21 June.
"Our teams have made everything safe and remain on site to complete the repair work.
"There has been no interruption to the local gas supply. Households that were evacuated yesterday as a safety precaution have now been able to return home. We’d like to thank everyone for their patience.
"This was a great response by the emergency services, including our team, in making sure everyone was kept safe. If you ever smell gas, here or anywhere, it is important to act immediately and call the national gas emergency service on 0800 111 999."