The WA Minister for Fisheries said two men attacked in separate shark attacks south of Perth knowingly put themselves in harm’s way.
Alex Travaglini, a 37-year-old father from Margaret River, was mauled by a shark on both legs last week when surfing at Cobblestone Beach, near Gracetown. He had to be airlifted to hospital.
Seven hours later, further down the coast, Jason Longgrass ignored the warnings and was also attacked.
Mr Travaglini said on the day he was mauled, a friend had spotted a shark while they were in the water.
They got out and waited an hour before going back in, but the father-of-two was attacked just minutes later.
But Fisheries Minister Dave Kelly said both shark attacks “were absolutely avoidable”.
“In both cases a shark had previously been sighted and people chose to go back into the water,” he said.
Surfer phoned his family to say goodbye after great white shark attack
Second man attacked by shark at WA beach just hours after father of two mauled
Dad thanks 'legends' who helped him after he fought off ferocious shark
Mr Kelly believes if the second attack on Mr Longgrass hadn’t taken place the Margaret River Pro wouldn’t have been called off.
Mr Travaglini left hospital on Monday and now faces months of rehabilitation.
He said he will use the next few months to not only heal, but try to understand why he was attacked.
“I don't think we should go and kill them all, but I absolutely think we should understand them more,” Mr Travaglini said.