Video of teen’s death viewed 170,000 times
A woman who helped cover up the violent death of a Sydney teen, telling concerned neighbours it was a “family dispute”, will remain free on bail as she awaits her fate later this year.
Stacey Pale, 37, previously pleaded guilty to being accessory after the fact to grievous bodily harm following the alleged murder of western Sydney teen Jason Galleghan.
The 16-year-old was allegedly lured to a Doonside home before being set upon by a gang of juveniles and adults on August 4, 2021, following the alleged theft of a pair of Apple AirPods.
Much of the attack, which was described by a Supreme Court judge as “cruelty of the highest order”, was broadcast online. Police claim one video garnered more than 170,000 views.
Pale is believed to have been in a relationship at the time with Richard Sione, 32, who police allege was one of the first to set upon Jason and has been charged with murder.
She is not accused of being involved in the attack itself and claimed to have been outside during the ordeal.
But, when asked by neighbours who heard screaming, the 37-year-old dismissed their concern.
“It’s just a family dispute,” Pale replied. When asked again, she repeated: “Nothing, just a family issue.”
Kayla Dawson, who police allege lured Jason to his death, offered a similar explanation.
The gang of juveniles, Dawson, and co-accused Harley Bartolo then left Galleghan, who was savagely beaten, alone in the house.
When they returned, Pale told police she had met Dawson at Doonside train station while buying cigarettes and had been at the property to do laundry. She was nearby when Dawson told police “two African men” were responsible for the attack.
Appearing at Parramatta District Court, Pale’s lawyers asked for her matter to be adjourned as they sought to compile further psychological reports. The matter will reappear before the same court on August 1.
Cousins Thomas Pakau, 19, and Rebyll Oakiri, 25, have also pleaded guilty to being accessories after the fact to grievous bodily harm.
Agreed police facts reveal that the pair had also remained outside the premises during the attack.
Oakiri told police he had wanted to call officers after the attack but was dissuaded by Pale.
The pair will reappear before the Penrith Local Court later this month.