Family poisoned by carbon monoxide at home in exclusive Sydney suburb

A number of people have been hospitalised in Sydney’s east with carbon monoxide poisoning.

A NSW Police spokesman told Yahoo News Australia crews were called to a home in Vaucluse to treat several people for carbon monoxide poisoning on Monday about 2pm.

He added NSW Fire and Rescue were investigating as the incident was not believed to be suspicious.

A family at a Vaucluse home in Sydney has been hospitalised with carbon monoxide poisoning. Photos show their home as well as a man opening doors and windows.
A family has been hospitalised with carbon monoxide poisoning in Sydney's suburb of Vaucluse. On the right a man is seen opening doors and windows at the house, which is pictured on the left. Source: Nine News

It is believed the gas leak was caused by a faulty pool heater, a NSW Fire and Rescue spokesman said.

NSW Ambulance found two adults and five children suffering from nausea and dizziness, a spokeswoman told AAP.

Carbon monoxide is particularly dangerous to humans because it displaces oxygen in the body which damages internal organs and the brain.

"At extremely high levels, carbon monoxide can cause death," NSW Health's website says.

The crew cut off the heater, a spokesman said, before ventilating the home.

The pool's heating system will now be investigated but it's suspected the system's flue may have malfunctioned or a seal may have been damaged allowing the gas to leak into the home, NSW Fire and Rescue spokesman said

The spokesman warned people to check their heating systems as winter brings lower temperatures.

"If you have a flue, make sure it's properly installed and functioning, and have it regularly checked," he told AAP on Monday.

With AAP

Do you have a story tip? Email:

You can also follow us on Facebook, download the Yahoo News app from iTunes or Google Play and stay up to date with the latest news with Yahoo’s daily newsletter. Sign up here.