Urgent warning for Aussie parents over hidden garden danger

Aussie parents have been issued a dire warning about the surprising dangers of helping their children to cool off during the scorching summer months.

First Aid Group CPR Kids has been conducting a series of temperature tests as the weather warms up, revealing how common summertime traditions could pose potential burn hazards.

"We were being contacted by parents telling us their stories about how their children had near misses or actually sustained injuries in everyday circumstances and that prompted us to take our infrared thermometer and test some surfaces," Sarah Hunstead, Founder of CPR Kids, told Yahoo News.

Left: Hose running water on artificial grass. Right: Little boy with burned skin
A little boy suffered burns to over 30 per cent of his body when he was accidentally sprayed with hot water from a garden hose in 2018. Source: Getty Images/CPR Kids

One test included measuring the heat of water from a hose that had been laying out in the sun for a few hours on a "very humid" 29-degree day in Sydney. Alarmingly, the temperature of the water had reached a scalding 49.2°C.

"Children burn at lower temperatures than adults. Their skin is more sensitive and that is why we need to be aware of how hot things can get and test the water ourselves," Ms Hunstead, who is also a paediatric nurse, explained. "Prevention is key. Always check before exposing your kids."

The results were shared on social media, alongside an image of a little boy who suffered burns to 30 per cent of his body when he was accidentally sprayed with hot water from a garden hose on a 29-degree day in 2018.

"Exposure to water at this temperature could easily lead to burns on a child's skin. Imagine how much hotter this could be on a 40-degree day! It could lead to very serious burns," reads the post on the CPR Kids Facebook page. "This is a reminder of how easily little ones can sustain burns and the importance of checking the hose water before letting it come into contact with children or pets.⁠"

Ms Hunstead recommended all parents do a first aid course to be prepared for accidents and minimise the effects of any burns that do occur. "It's also about knowing what to do if they do get burnt. What you do straight away can really impact the severity of the burn."

Warning to beachgoers

Meanwhile, if you're planning a trip to the beach, the sand you're walking on might also be hotter than you think. CPR Kids' latest test involved measuring the surface temperature of sand at midday on a 29-degree day in Sydney.

Left: Bondi Beach. Right: Digital thermometer showing 50.2 degrees Celsius
Parents have been warned about scorching-hot sand this summer after tests revealed a surface temperature of over 50 degrees. Source: Getty Images/CPR Kids

The infrared thermometer used in the test registered a shocking reading of 50.2°C. "Over 50°C on the ground, and the weather isn't even over 30°C. Imagine what this reading might be on a 40°C day?" a second social media post from CPR Kids reads. "We don't know about you but just looking at this made our feet ache, remembering running across the burning sand as a kid."

Ms Hunstead urged parents to always pack shoes for the beach and to be mindful of pets on hot sand. "We all know that dance you can do on the sand at the beach but it really can heat up," Ms Hunstead said.

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.