Advertisement

‘Unfortunate’: Albo breaks silence on Kate drama

ALBANESE VIETNAMESE PRIME MINISTER
Anthony Albanese says he’s never edited a picture like Princess Catherine was caught doing. Picture: NCA NewsWire / Martin Ollman

Anthony Albanese won’t be rushing to try his hand at photoshop following the drama caused by Catherine, Princess of Wales’ editing fail.

The princess apologised for causing “any confusion” after admitting a picture released by Kensington Palace on Mother's Day in the UK was altered.

Speaking on ABC Radio, the Prime Minister broke his silence on the saga that has gripped the world in recent days, laughing off a question about whether he’d ever edited a picture of himself.

“No I haven’t … I think I know what you’re referring to there, with the photo of the Princess of Wales,” he told ABC’s AM.

“I think it’s unfortunate that this has become a public issue, I think the real issue is everyone wishes the princess the best of health for her recovery.”

The saga was prompted by the release of this photo from Kensington Palace. (Photo by Prince of Wales / KENSINGTON PALACE / AFP) /
The saga was prompted by the release of this photo from Kensington Palace. (Photo by Prince of Wales / KENSINGTON PALACE / AFP) /

The picture of Catherine surrounded by her three children George, 10, Charlotte, 8, and Louis, 5, was taken by her husband Prince William and was released on Sunday amid fevered speculation about her wellbeing.

The 42-year-old had abdominal surgery in mid-January but details about her illness and condition have been limited, beyond confirmation she would not return to official duties until after Easter.

Kensington Palace claimed the picture had been taken last week.

Mr Albanese said he hasn’t edited a picture. Picture: NCA NewsWire / Joel Carrett
Mr Albanese said he hasn’t edited a picture. Picture: NCA NewsWire / Joel Carrett
Supplied Editorial
Catherine took to Instagram to apologise for the picture fail. Picture: Instagram.

The family snapshot was the first official photograph released following her surgery and was intended to quell speculation about her whereabouts.

Instead, it only added fuel to the fire.

Within hours of its release, the photo was withdrawn by agencies that provide media outlets, issuing “kill notices” on the snaps amid suspicions it was digitally altered.

Getty, the Associated Press, Reuters, Agence France-Presse (AFP) and the UK’s Press Association had all recalled the image.

“At closer inspection, it appears that the source has manipulated the image,” the AP kill notice said.

Several inconsistencies, including the position of Charlotte’s hands, have been identified.

By Monday, Catherine had released a statement apologising for her photoshop fail.

“Like many amateur photographers, I do occasionally experiment with editing,” she said.

“I wanted to express my apologies for any confusion the family photograph we shared yesterday caused.

“I hope everyone celebrating had a very happy Mother’s Day.”