SIGN UP for our newsletter ✉️ :

Get the latest stories delivered straight to you

Tributes flow for 'loving and caring' woman found unconscious with mystery head injuries as family turn off life support

Tributes have flowed for a woman who died in hospital days after she was found unconscious with mysterious head injuries in her north Brisbane home.

Melanie Floyd's partner called Triple-0 from the Windsor home on Wednesday afternoon, where paramedics found her unconscious with swelling on the brain, with no known cause of the severe injury.

24-year-old Brisbane woman Melanie Floyd died after being found with 'potentially fatal' brain injuries on Wednesday. Picture: Facebook

Ms Floyd's partner told police she had not gotten out of bed on Wednesday and when he woke from a nap about 1.30pm, he discovered she was unconscious.

The 28-year-old spent four days at the Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital on life support until her family, some of which travelled from interstate and New Zealand to be by her hospital bed, made the decision to turn her life support off on Saturday night.

Melanie's boyfriend found her unconscious and called triple-0. Picture: Facebook

Friends have posted tributes to the 'loving and caring' woman on Facebook.

“Today I say goodbye to one of my bestfriends Melanie Floyd,” user Jay Humphries wrote.

“Never had I met someone as caring and loving as you. You taught me everything I needed to know on how to be an adult- without you I wouldn’t be in the position I am today with my career.

Detective Inspector Tim Trezise said the woman's partner refused to be interviewd by police. Source: 7 News

“Absolutely shattered.”

Another Facebook user Shaun King wrote:

“Such a big heart and so caring, always giving up your time to make sure others were taken care of, I’ll cherish the times we shared and miss your ability to brighten up my day with your lovely smile."

The woman's 24-year-old partner called Triple-0 to make the emergency alert on Wednesday, but didn't want to be interviewed by police, Detective Inspector Tim Trezise said last week.

"He's exercised his right to silence that he doesn't want to assist us," Insp Trezise told reporters.

Police are treating the death of the hospitality worker as suspicious and are appealing for witnesses to come forward.

At the time, Insp Trezise said police held grave fears for her health, with doctors confirming she had suffered "potentially fatal" brain swelling.

He said the blow to Ms Floyd's head was not obvious, the ABC reported.

Detectives were examining the Windsor apartment where Ms Flyod was found. Source: 7 News

"There is some minor, minor bruising on her body but we don't know whether that's recent and we don't know whether that's connected to the significant injury she has to her brain," he said.

Insp Trezise said there were "a number of suspicious circumstances" surrounding the woman's head trauma that resulted in her death. and police did not believe it was a random act of violence.

Homicide detectives were examining the woman's Gallway St apartment to gather more information.

Police are also trying to work out when the pair went to bed and if the attack occurred on Tuesday night.

7 News reported the woman took out a domestic violence order against her Ph-D student boyfriend last year.

Insp Trezise said he could not comment whether it was a domestic violence incident.

"We have an open mind to how these injuries were caused," he said.

Source: 7 News

Police are asking anyone who may have heard or seen anything on Gallway St, Windsor to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

News break – April 17