Train, truck collide on ‘notorious’ stretch

Police were called to a railway station in Toobeah, QLD after a truck and train collided. Picture: NCA NewsWire / Scott Powick

Three people have miraculously survived a crash between a train and truck near a rural railway station, leaving wreckage strewn across the tracks.

The crash occurred near the Barwon Highway at Toobeah, near Goondiwindi in southwestern Queensland, on Thursday afternoon, on what has been described as “a notorious corner”.

Police and ambulance found two people in their 60s who received minor head and arm injuries in the crash.

Another man, in his 30s, was taken to hospital with chest pain.

Map showing location of Toobeah in southwestern Queensland.Map showing location of Toobeah in southwestern Queensland.
The crash happened at the Gooray level crossing near the Toobeah Railway Station in Queensland.

A Queensland Rail spokesperson confirmed the collision happened about 1.30pm at the Gooray level crossing, causing the train to leave the track and a number of wagons derailed.

A road north of the Barwon Highway is currently closed and a detour is in place as emergency services investigate what happened and a cleanup of the crash site takes place.

Queensland Fire and Emergency Services (QFES) have completed checks of the site to make sure everyone has been accounted for and there were no other victims in the crash.

QFES left about 3.45pm and will return when a recovery operation begins.

Map of Toobeah to Goondiwindi
Map of Toobeah to Goondiwindi

Toobeah publican Mick Offerdahl told the Courier Mail the collision took place at a “notorious” corner.

“The train hit the trailer [which was] pulling a low loader,” he said.

“The train struck the low loader below the neck of the trailer, jumped up and somehow that’s been enough to jump off the track.

“That corner is notoriously dangerous. You sort of end up on the tracks before you can see down the track.

“The driver was not from the area. I have carted a heap of grain down that road and am surprised it hasn’t happened before.”

A police spokesperson said they had notified workplace health and safety about the incident.