Tragedy as boy, 4, dies after 'eating spoiled hot dog'

Yahoo News Australia and agencies
·2-min read

A four-year-old boy has died after eating a hot dog which his mum claims infected him with viruses that caused fatal kidney failure.

The tragic death occurred at the Public Hospital Maternal and Child in the city of Salta located in the Argentine province of the same name on December 11.

The four-year-old victim, identified as Elias, became ill after eating a hot dog from a fast food place, according to his mother, Sandra Bautista.

Ms Bautista said on social media Elias started to experience headaches and vomiting after he finished eating a hot dog she bought at a shop in the town of La Merced in Salta Province.

She said she took him to the local hospital where he was given something to help him relax and she hoped he would get better with time.

The boy, named as Elias, died after eating a hot dog in Argentina.
A four-year-old boy has died after eating a hot dog, his mother claims. Source: Newsflash/Australscope

But the four-year-old continued to experience intense stomach pains, vomiting and diarrhoea, and he was transported to the Public Hospital Maternal and Child in Salta.

He was placed in intensive care on arrival where he remained for four days before he died from renal damage caused by the bacteria, according to reports.

Ms Bautista said her child had been infected with rotavirus and adenovirus, adding people usually become infected with them when eating badly-cooked or spoiled food.

She accused the food shop’s owner of selling them a spoiled hot dog and went on to claim the owner usually sells badly-prepared foods.

“The shop owner knows what she does, you have spoiled things in your delicatessen and what do you do?” Ms Bautista wrote.

“You send the spoiled hot dogs and mayonnaise to your sandwich shops, I mean it goes out on the same day so it is no big deal. I heard about all of this after we knew what my baby had which was caused by that hot dog.”

The mother ended her post saying she only shared her story because she hoped to spare other innocent children from the same fate.

Despite the claims in the post, the hospital confirmed the viruses the boy was infected with and echoed the claims people were usually infected with them through spoiled foods, but they did not mention Elias got the bacteria from the hot dog or the mayonnaise bought from the fast food shop.

– Australscope

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.