The West

Maryville rape victim attempted suicide: report
Maryville rape victim attempted suicide: report

A teen who was allegedly raped when she was 14 has reportedly attempted suicide.

Daisy Coleman spoke out about her experience in Maryville, which sparked worldwide outrage against young girls and rape.

Now it's taken another twist, with the teenager reportedly in hospital after trying to take her own life.

The girl was reportedly targeted with online abuse after attending a party on Friday night.

She was in hospital in a stable condition, the Kansas City Star reported.

The mother of Daisy, Melinda Coleman, said she wasn't sure if her daughter would ever be ok. She also took a swipe at hacktivist group Anonymous, who themselves became anonymous after saying they would help the family.

Daisy Coleman's mother wrote on social media that her daughter had tried to commit suicide. Photo: Facebook

It was also revealed that Daisy had tried to take her life twice in the past.

Daisy became the target of online abuse after she accused the son of a senator of rape.

The Kansas City Star reported that in the early hours of January 8, 14-year-old Daisy Coleman and a 13-year-old friend climbed from a bedroom window to join their 17-year-old "friend" at his house.

At the time, the 17-year-old was a Maryville High School football star and Daisy was a freshman cheerleader.

The boy, also the grandson of a former state Republican, later admitted to police that he knew the girl was drinking at his house and that he had sex with her while she was drunk, according to the Kansas City Star. The encounter was allegedly recorded on a friend's iPhone.

Hacktivist group Anonymous wrote this tweet in response to the latest revelations. Photo: Twitter

Other witnesses told police the 17-year-old loaded the girl, in tears, into his car and left her unconscious on her front porch in freezing temperatures. When Daisy's mother found her the following morning her hair was frozen.

Daisy Coleman was allegedly left on her front porch in freezing conditions after the alleged rape. Photo: Facebook.

Nodaway County Sheriff Darren White told the Star that he "absolutely" expected the case to end up in court.

"Within four hours, we had obtained a search warrant for the house and executed that. We had all of the suspects in custody and had audio/video confessions."

Instead, the charges were dropped, much of the town turned on the Coleman family, Daisy's mother Melinda was fired from her job, and-after the Colemans left town-their house burned down under suspicious circumstances.

If you or someone you know is suffering depression call Lifeline on 13 11 14.

(Daisy's mother gave the Kansas City Star permission to name her daughter.)

Latest News From The West

The victim of the Carlisle siege is suing the estate of the man who took her hostage at knife-point in a bid to get compensation for the permanent injuries she suffered during the deadly police …

Qantas and the operators of Perth Airport are poised to strike a deal within days to allow the first non-stop flights from Australia to Europe through the airline’s domestic terminal.

Popular videos