Judges had the best seats in town last week as they enjoyed a tour onboard a Broome Top Deck Tours bus to check out the entries for this year’s Broome Advertiser Christmas Lights Competition.
Competition was fierce this year as nine homes in Roebuck Estate, Cable Beach and Broome North battled it out to win $750 cash and be crowned the overall winner.
Representatives from Horizon Power, Leading Edge Computers, Mitre 10 and Betta Electrical joined Broome Advertiser staff to judge each home based on its Kimberley connection, colour, movement and action and the wow factor.
For a third year running, the Herbert family from 30 Glenister Loop dazzled judges with their spectacular array of Christmas lights and novelty features to claim top spot.
Once again, the family transformed their garden into a life-like Christmas wonderland featuring illuminating reindeer and Christmas trees, large neon candy canes, streams of multi-coloured Christmas lights and a large inflatable Santa.
They received $750 cash from Horizon Power.
In second place was 42 Koolama Drive. They received a $500 Mitre 10 Broome shopping spree.
For the first time, the Broome Advertiser introduced its new People’s Choice award for residential displays. This was awarded to 39 Shearwater Crescent and they took away a $500 Betta Electrical shopping spree.
Two businesses also won prizes for their efforts. Monsoonal Blues came first, winning $750 cash from Horizon Power plus an advertising package from the Broome Advertiser valued at more than $2700.
Hutchinson Real Estate came runner-up and received a $500 Leading Edge Computers shopping spree plus an advertising package from the Broome Advertiser valued at more than $1800.
Must-see Christmas lights
- 30 Glenister Loop, Cable Beach RESIDENTIAL WINNER
- 42 Koolama Drive, Cable Beach RESIDENTIAL RUNNER-UP
- 13 Sayonara Drive, Cable Beach
- 42 Shearwater Crescent, Roebuck Estate
- 39 Shearwater Crescent, Roebuck Estate PEOPLE’S CHOICE
- 22 Lorikeet Drive, Roebuck Estate
- 102 Sanderling Drive, Roebuck Estate
- 5 Monjon Loop, Roebuck Estate
- 22 Takumaru Bend, Broome North
- Monsoonal Blues, Carnarvon Street, Chinatown BUSINESS WINNER
- Hutchinson Real Estate, Carnarvon Street, Chinatown BUSINESS RUNNER-UP