An Orelia man was treated for smoke inhalation last night after fire forced the evacuation of the top floor of an apartment block.
Fire crews were called to a three-storey complex on Prescott Place about 9.10pm.
They arrived to find flames spreading through the front room of a top-floor unit.
Firefighters evacuated the floor and treated one man for smoke inhalation while they extinguished the fire.
It is understood the man had been trying to fight the blaze.
The cause was yet to be determined.
Earlier last night in Thornlie, a battery charging station sparked a fire which destroyed a backyard shed.
Firefighters rushed to the Lyrebird Way house just after 8pm and had the fire extinguished within 10 minutes.
It caused about $60,000 worth of damage but the owner was insured.