The Hutchins School in Hobart, which has been the focus of historic child sex abuse allegations, is assuring parents of current pupils that their boys are safe.
The Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse held five days of hearings at the Federal Court in Hobart, where allegations dating back to the 1960s were heard.
Four former Hutchins pupils appeared to tell of the sexual abuse they suffered at the hands of former headmaster David Lawrence and other staff.
One former teacher told the commission the school had covered up the existence and activities of a paedophile ring in which up to eight teachers were involved.
One victim, known as AOA, first sought an apology from the school in 1993.
Some 20 years later, the school apologised to him on the eve of the hearings and on the first day apologised to the four victims.
In a letter sent on Monday, Hutchins board chairman David Morris reiterated those apologies and sought to reassure parents, who are charged more than $10,000 a year in high school tuition fees per pupil.
"I want to assure you that your boys are safe at the Hutchins School," he said.
"We have rigorous processes in place relating to the recruitment of staff, complaints procedures and education programs at all levels, in accordance with modern best practice."
He admitted the victims had been let down by the school.
"Those Hutchins boys were entitled to protection then and deserve our support now and throughout their lives," he said.
Hutchins' efforts to rebuild trust welcomed
Elizabeth Little from Sexual Assault Support Service said the letter was, if nothing, a welcome break from the school's silence regarding the issue of sexual abuse.
"I certainly had comments from people who were concerned that they hadn't heard from the school, and that they felt that the school wasn't responding to the seriousness of what was happening and what was being said," she said.
Mr Morris also noted that more men had come forward with abuse claims.
"Since the royal commission hearing was announced, the school has had contact from nine other individuals, who have all been offered independent counselling," he said.
"All complaints relate to the time before and during the period when Mr Lawrence was headmaster."
Ms Little said the Hutchins community would welcome the school's efforts to accept responsibility and rebuild trust.
"It will make a lot more parents feel comfortable with their children at the school, it's part of recognising that what's happened affects the whole school community," she said.
The school will hold meetings this week to answer questions from parents.
The commission will hear the claims of another former Hutchins pupil when inquiry continues in Sydney in a fortnight.
It is due to deliver its findings next year.
Mr Morris was not available to be interviewed.