Tributes are flowing for the two 16-year-old boys killed in “senseless” stabbings just a mile apart in south-east London.
Detectives are treating the murders of Kearnie Solanke and Charlie Bartolo on Saturday afternoon as linked, as investigations continue.
Floral tributes, soft toys, balloons and emotional messages have been left near the cordon at the two crime scenes - one in Titmuss Avenue, Thamesmead and one on Sewell Road, Abbey Wood.
Charlie’s initials, CB, have been spelt on the ground using tealight candles.
One note read: “Far too young to be taken. RIP Charlie.”
Another read: “ To Charlie. RIP boy. Never to be forgotten, always in our hearts.” Another mourner, Bob, wrote a note to Charlie attached to flowers saying “can’t believe your gone”.
Throughout Sunday, loved ones visited the floral tributes to pay their respects. Some were seen crying and hugging.
London Mayor Sadiq Khan said the loss of two young lives “is devastating”.
In a tweet on Sunday he said: “Violent crime destroys lives and tears communities apart and I will continue doing everything I can to stamp it out.
“I’m in regular contact with the Met Commissioner and I know officers are working at pace to investigate these terrible incidents.”
As the victims’ families and friends mourn their deaths, police revealed on Sunday afternoon they are keen to hear from anyone who may have seen a dark-coloured SUV-type vehicle in the area.
Detective superintendent Richard McDonagh, speaking at the scene of one of the incidents, told reporters: “Homicide colleagues are investigating and are treating the two murders as linked.
“Officers are especially keen to hear from anyone who might have seen a dark-coloured SUV or 4X4 type with distinctive silver roof bars in the areas around Sewell Road or Titmuss Avenue in the days prior to the murders.
“We have already heard from a number of witnesses and I’m grateful to them.”
The Metropolitan Police were called out around 5.10pm on Saturday to reports that people had been injured at both locations.
Both youths were pronounced dead and a murder investigation has been launched.
Southeast London: Double stabbing
Mr McDonagh said he is “deeply saddended outraged by these senseless murders”.
“My thoughts and deepest sympathies are with their families and friends - and indeed with local people in Abbey Wood and Thamesmead who I know are shocked and appalled by what has happened.
“Days like today show why that work is so important, and why I must again ask all of London’s communities to work with us, and our partners, so that we are doing all that we can together to prevent such tragedies.”
He said detectives will “work tirelessly” to provide answers to the young victims’ families. The families are being supported by specialist officers.
Adding: “Any witnesses, or those who knew Charlie or Kearnie and might be able to offer some information or insight into these senseless killings, are urged to contact police.”
There have been no arrests and inquiries are ongoing.
Anyone with information can call 101 and quote reference 4943/26nov. Information can also be provided to Crimestoppers, anonymously, online or by calling 0800 555 111.