Intercepted calls and text messages will be used in the case against an alleged One Four gang member who is accused of playing a role in a vicious Oxford Street brawl, a court has heard.
Frank Bosco, 21, on Thursday appeared before Sydney’s Downing Centre Local Court in a bid to be freed on bail after spending the last three-and-a-half months in custody on remand.
Mr Bosco was arrested in October last year, three months after he was allegedly involved in a wild brawl outside a Surry Hills nightclub during which one man was stabbed and a bystander was also attacked.
After being arrested in the Sydney CBD, Mr Bosco was charged with causing wounding with intention to murder, wounding in company and affray.
Police allege that Mr Bosco and two other men were involved in the stabbing of a 25-year-old man outside the Noir nightclub about 3am on July 29.
Witnesses told police the 25-year-old man was stabbed by one man armed with a machete.
Police allege that a 34-year-old man attempted to come to the man’s aid, however he too was attacked.
Friends of the younger man took him to St Vincent’s Hospital suffering multiple stab wounds while paramedics treated the 34-year-old good Samaritan.
Police have also arrested a 21-year-old man, who was extradited from Queensland, and another 18-year-old man at Lalor Park last year.
The court heard on Thursday that it was alleged that the victim was stabbed by Mr Bosco’s co-accused and that Mr Bosco was involved in kicking and attacking the victim.
Mr Bosco on Thursday, through his lawyer Albert Cheng, applied to be released on a host of bail conditions including that his family offer up a $1000 surety, that he be allowed to live with his family and work with his father at a trucking company.
He also offered to report to police daily.
Mr Cheng argued that the prosecution case was not strong and that it could take several years for the case to run through the courts.
The court heard that the police were relying on telephone intercepts and text messages found on phones.
The court heard that it was alleged that Mr Bosco was involved in the “planned” and “coordinated” attack on the 25-year-old victim, who suffered stab wounds to his chest near his heart.
His injuries were described as “life-treatening” in court on Thursday.
The bystander also suffered stab wounds to his forearm and hand, the court heard.
Prosecutors opposed the bail application on the grounds they were also concerned about Mr Bosco’s ties to “anti-social elements”, the court heard.
Mr Bosco is facing a maximum of 25 years in prison, if found guilty of the most serious charge of causing grievous bodily harm with intent to murder.
Magistrate Brett Shields said that he was concerned by Mr Bosco’s lengthy criminal history.
“The (alleged) facts, as said, are serious and involve a planned and coordinated attack,” Mr Shields said.
He denied his bail application, citing the seriousness of the charges and his history of non-compliance with bail conditions.