Student found dead at university months after 'tragic' coronavirus battle

Brianne Tolj
·2-min read

A student has been found dead at his university residence almost a year after being infected with coronavirus while living in China.

Connor Reed, whose family live in Brisbane, was the first Brit to catch Covid-19. He fell ill in December last year while teaching English in Wuhan, his mum, Hayley Reed, said in a Facebook post on October 27.

The 26-year-old, who is from north Wales, developed a harsh cough and lost his voice when hospitalised.

He recovered from the illness and returned to the UK to begin a degree in Chinese language at Bangor University, as well as spending time with his family in Brisbane.

Connor Reed is seen wearing a black mask in China.
Connor Reed, whose family live in Brisbane, fell ill last year while teaching English in Wuhan. Source: GoFundMe

He was found dead in his residence hall last week in Wales, Ms Reed, who lives in Brisbane, said. Police say his death is not suspicious.

“It brings me great sadness to announce our beautiful son Connor Reed has passed away in a tragic accident at Bangor University at the weekend,” she posted on October 27.

“He will be so greatly missed by his brothers, family and friends. He had such a wonderful smile, enthusiasm and love for life.

“We are blessed to have had you in our lives if only for a very short time. Rest in peace our darling.”

The heartbroken mum told The Sun her son never really recovered from the “hardship” of Covid-19.

“Over the last six months he endured a lot of hardship in China contracting Covid and having over 20 weeks lockdown under strict conditions,” Ms Reed, who moved with Connor’s dad Rod to Australia 10 years ago, said.

Connor Reed, right, is seen holding a beer while smiling with his mum, Hayley.
Connor Reed (right) was found dead in his residence hall last week, mum Hayley (left), who lives in Brisbane, said. Source: Facebook

“He endured more lockdown than anyone we have even known – 16 weeks harsh lockdown in Wuhan, two weeks in Australia and a further three weeks in the UK.”

Connor’s family have launched a fundraiser to give him the “funeral he deserves in the UK and Australia”.

On the GoFundMe, Hayley said they were unable to go back to the UK for her son’s funeral because of the current Covid-19 travel restrictions.

“Therefore we will make sure we all celebrate his life at his home in Australia,” she said.

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.