‘Stalker arrested’ outside Harry and Meghan’s California mansion
A suspected stalker has reportedly been arrested after he was caught lurking outside the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s California mansion.
The 29-year-old suspect was apprehended by the couple’s security staff around 2am on Monday, and placed under citizen’s arrest near the entrance to the $14.65 million (£10.5 million) property, reports news outlet TMZ.
Police were allegedly then called to the sprawling 7.4-acre estate in Montecito, Santa Barbara County, and the suspect was taken into custody.
According to TMZ, it was something the suspect said to security staff “that triggered this arrest”.
He was reportedly arrested on suspicion of midemeanour stalking, before being released on $2,500 bail.
It is not yet known whether Harry and Meghan, or their children Archie, four, and Lilibet, one, were at home at the time of the incident.
On Tuesday evening, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex appeared together in New York at the Ms Foundation for Women’s 50th anniversary gala event, accompanied by Meghan’s mother, Doria Ragland. The trio were later involved in in a ‘near catastrophic car chase with paparazzi’, Prince Harry’s spokesperson said.
The duchess received the Ms Foundation’s Women of Vision Award, recognising her “global advocacy to empower and advocate on behalf of women and girls”.
She wore a strapless gold dress, as she was presented with the award by renowned journalist and feminist activist Gloria Steinem.
The duchess’ acceptance speech closed out the gala, as she said: “It’s never too late to start.
“You can be the visionary of your own life...There is still so much work to be done.
“I am a woman who remains inspired and driven by this organisation.
“It allowed me to recognise that part of my greater value and purpose in life was to advocate for those who felt unheard, to stand up to injustice, and to not be afraid of saying what is true and what is just and what is right.”
Tuesday’s event marks the first public event that Harry and Meghan have attended together since the duke made the solo trip to the King’s coronation earlier this month.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been approached by the Standard for a comment regarding Monday night’s incident.