A young man in the US, who escaped a fire at his home, died after he went back inside to get his mobile phone but didn't make it out a second time.
The 22-year-old South Carolina man managed to escape the burning mobile home, along with a 17-year-old and a woman, but he went back inside the inferno where he was overcome by smoke, according to local reports.
The fire reportedly started in the woman’s bedroom just before 3am Friday, firefighters said.
She noticed the smoke and woke her daughter and fiancée, and the trio made it out safely.
Anderson County Deputy Coroner Charlie Boseman said the man, identified identified as Patrick Chipwood, went back inside to get his phone, but did not make it out again, local news outlet WSPA reported.
His body was later found in a bedroom, within two metres of the doorway, accoring to coroners.
- Two police officers shot at Melbourne swingers, witnesses claim
- 'This man will not get away with what he's doing': Trump reiterates North Korea threats
- Army studying 'how women shop' for recruitment
Fire crews worked to control the blaze, but the mobile home suffered significant damage.
Firefighters reported no working smoke detectors inside.
Authorities believe the blaze may have been sparked by a cigarette, however the cause remains under investigation.
The victims escaped another fire earlier this year, when an air-conditioning unit caused an electrical fire at a different home, firefighters have told.