Terrifying Sydney shark attack video emerges: 'Someone just got eaten'

·Associate News Editor
·2-min read

WARNING - GRAPHIC CONTENT: Distressing video has emerged of the moment a man was fatally attacked by a shark off rocks at a busy Sydney beach on Wednesday afternoon.

Emergency services rushed to Little Bay shortly after 4.30pm after reports a swimmer had been attacked by a great white shark.

Just over an hour later police confirmed human remains had washed up on the shore. NSW Ambulance Inspector Lucky Phrachanh described the injuries sustained by the man as "catastrophic".

In video believed to have been filmed by a fisherman on nearby rocks, a man can be heard shouting: "Someone just got eaten by a shark! Oh no, oh no!"

Several people stand watching on in disbelief as a struggle ensues in the water. The water surrounding the man and shark turns red amid continued thrashing.

The disturbing video lasts for nearly a minute and depicts the prolonged shark attack.
The disturbing video lasts for nearly a minute and depicts the prolonged shark attack.

"That's insane," the man says, while another person can be heard saying: "Oh my god!"

"The person's still there!" he proclaims.

A witness told the ABC they were horrified by the death, to the point they were repeatedly vomiting.

"He was yelling... It was terrible, I am shaking," they said.

Yahoo News Australia has decided not to publish the video.

Multiple Sydney beaches remain closed Thursday

Surf Lifesavers NSW President George Shales called the man's death a "terrible tragedy".

"It's the first fatal shark incident in Sydney in decades," he said. The last fatal shark attack in Sydney was in 1963.

Beachgoers in an aerial shot of Little Bay Beach.
Little Bay Beach was busy on Wednesday as Sydneysiders soaked up the sun. Source: Nine News

Randwick Mayor Dylan Parker said he was shocked by the death in what is normally "a calm, beautiful place, enjoyed by families".

The man has yet to be identified. The ABC understands the man was not local however visited the beach nearly every day to swim.

Beaches from Coogee to as far south as Cronulla will be closed on Thursday.

The Department of Primary Industries (DPI) will assess the danger and liaise with council to determine when it is safe to reopen the beaches.

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting