Seven people dead after drinking hand sanitiser at party

Yahoo News Staff
·1-min read

Seven people have died after drinking hand sanitiser at a party.

A group of nine people drank the antiseptic hand wash when the alcohol ran out at a party on Thursday (local time) in Tomtor village in the Tattinsky of Russia’s largest region Yakutia.

Partygoers drank the product made up of 69 per cent methanol, which had been sold as a hand cleanser during the pandemic.

Health officials warned locals not to drink the Russian-made antiseptic.

Doctors work on a patient in hospital and a container of hand sanitiser is pictured.
Seven people have been killed after drinking hand sanitiser at a party in Russia. Source: East2West/Australscope

The regional prosecutor said the seven victims died as a result of poisoning.

A criminal case has been opened.

The victims were five men aged 27, 28, 32, 59 and 69 along with a woman aged 41. Another person also died, but it’s not known what their age or gender is.

Two more people remain in a coma in an intensive care ward.

In US states Arizona and New Mexico it was revealed earlier this year people had died and gone blind from drinking hand sanitiser.

Over the two-month study period, four patients died and three others suffered varying degrees of vision loss.

Inside a home in Tomtor village in the Tattinsky of Russia’s largest region Yakutia.
The Yakutia home where the party took place. Source: East2West/Australscope

Six patients, including three of the patients that died, developed seizures in hospital.

One 44-year-old man presented at hospital because of a sudden loss of vision.

Australscope

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.