Scottie Scheffler: Golf star 'rattled' and 'in shock' after being arrested by police

World number one golfer Scottie Scheffler says he was "rattled" and "in shock" after he was arrested and charged by police this morning.

The 27-year-old reportedly tried to get around a traffic jam caused by a fatal accident near the Valhalla Golf Club in Louisville, Kentucky, at around 6am local time (11am UK time) on Friday.

He is due to appear in court on Tuesday after being charged with second-degree assault of a police officer, third-degree criminal mischief, reckless driving, and disregarding signals from officers directing traffic.

Scheffler was released at 8:40am local time (1:40pm UK time) and allowed to return to the golf course to play his second round of the PGA Championship, where he currently sits three shots off the lead.

Speaking to reporters after his round, Scheffler said: "It was a chaotic situation and a big misunderstanding. My head is still spinning.

"I spent some time warming up in a jail cell, which was a first for me.

"I was pretty rattled, to say the least... I was never angry, I was just in shock. I was shaking for about an hour.

"Coming out here and trying to play today was definitely a challenge, but I did my best to control my mind and control my breathing... just try to play golf.

"I knew there was going to be a lot of distractions... but to be honest, it was great having the fans behind me. I felt they were really glad to have me out here competing today."

Police earlier released a mugshot taken of Scheffler while he was wearing an orange jailed-issued jumpsuit.

The fatal crash occurred this morning when a bus struck and killed a man as he was crossing the road near the front gate of the Valhalla Golf Club.

Tournament officials said they were "devastated" by the death of local man John Mills, who was working for an on-site vendor at Valhalla.

Scheffler, who was not involved in the accident, was allegedly trying to drive around the crash site when he failed to stop for a police officer.

An officer is then said to have grabbed on to Scheffler's car.

The golfer drove around 10 to 20 yards before stopping his vehicle at the entrance to Valhalla, according to an ESPN reporter Jeff Darlington who was on the scene.

Darlington said: "At that point the police officer instructed Scheffler to get out of the car.

"He rolled down the window, the police officer grabbed his arm and started pulling at it. He reached inside, opened the car door, pulled Scheffler out, pushed him up against the car, immediately placed him in handcuffs."

According to the police report, a detective stopped Scheffler's car and "attempted to give instruction".

The report continued: "Subject refused to comply and accelerated forward, dragging Detective Gillis to the ground. Detective Gillis suffered pain, swelling and abrasions to his left wrist and knees.

"He was transported to the hospital for further medical treatment by emergency medical personnel. Detective Gillis' uniform pants, valued at approximately $80, were damaged beyond repair."

Read more from Sky News:
Rishi Sunak leapfrogs the King in new rich list
Teacher who had sex with two schoolboys is jailed
Tory peer resigns after foul-mouthed drunken outburst

In a statement, Scheffler's attorney Steve Romines said the player was proceeding as directed by a traffic officer and is alleged to have disregarded signals from another officer "in the confusion".

"Multiple eyewitnesses have confirmed that he did not do anything wrong but was simply proceeding as directed," the statement added.

"He stopped immediately upon being directed to and never at any point assaulted any officer with his vehicle. We will litigate this matter as needed."

Speaking after a second round, Scheffler expressed his sympathies to the family of Mr Mills.

"I can't imagine what they're going through this morning," Scheffler said.

"My situation will get handled... I can't get into what transpired... my heart goes out to the family."