Pregnant woman feared for baby during allergic reaction to yoghurt

A pregnant Melbourne woman feared she would lose her life and that of her unborn baby when she suffered an allergic reaction to a yoghurt.

Melissa Presti claims the cacao crumble she purchased from a shopping centre juice bar contained traces of nuts, despite the shop assistant assuring her it was safe to eat.

Almost immediately, anaphylactic symptoms developed.

Almost immediately, anaphylactic symptoms developed after a Melbourne woman ate yoghurt bought from a shopping centre juice bar. Pictures: Supplied
Melissa Presti before her allergic reaction. Photo: Facebook


It took four shots of adrenaline at the Footscray hospital before the mother of two was out of danger.

She told 7 News she asked staff at the Top Juice Store at Highpoint Shopping Centre if the product contained nuts, and was given the green light.

“She was so adamant there was nothing that contained anything but almonds, which I can eat.

“My lips started to swell, my eyes started to puff up, and I struggled to breathe," she said.

“I thought, I've got this baby that I’m not going to live to meet, so it was terrifying,".

Today an allergen warning was displayed alongside the yoghurt, which Melissa claims was not there yesterday. Picture: 7 News


The family now wants somebody to take responsibility for Ms Presti’s near death experience.

Her husband Nicholas said: "[We’re] not happy. You should know - the ingredients should be listed in what’s in all yoghurts."

The woman believes the crumble either came into contact with other peanut products, or the nuts were mistakenly mixed into the yoghurt supplied to the shop.

Melissa asked staff at the Top Juice Store at Highpoint Shopping Centre if the product contained nuts, and was given the green light. Picture: 7 News

Today a sign was displayed alongside the cacao yoghurt warning: "Products are processed in facilities that handle nuts and other allergens" however Ms Presti claimed the sign was not there when she bought the yoghurt. The company said it was.

She urged anybody with food allergies to be extra cautious.

"If you see any products that’s close by – don’t take the risk. Don’t take the chance."