Family's hope for electrocuted girl after she 'responds' to voices

The 11-year-old Perth girl who received a serious electric shock when turning off a garden tap in her front yard is responding to voices and opening her eyes, her family says.

After nine days in the intensive care unit at Princess Margaret Hospital, Denishar Woods has been moved to a different ward as she no longer requires around the clock care.

While doctors have told Denishar's devastated mother, Lacey Harrison, that her daughter is brain dead, the family aren't giving up hope and say she is now opening her eyes and responding to their voices.

Denishar Woods, 11, suffered a severe electric shock after touching a garden tap. Source: GoFundMe/Denishar Woods Appeal

Denishar Woods was shocked by up to 230 volts when she touched a garden tap at the family’s public housing property in Beldon in Perth on March 3.

Ms Harrison told Seven News the schoolgirl was responding to voices in the new ward.

On Sunday, the 11-year-old was taken off her respirator and was able to breathe on her own, as doctors changed her condition from serious to stable.

Denishar Woods remains in a critical condition after being shocked by a tap outside her home. Source: 7News
The family won't give up hope. Source: 7 News

“I want answers because I'm going home every night and reliving the moment me and my daughter dropped to the ground,” Ms Harrison said.

“All HomesWest homes need a major look into, because this should never have happened. She probably will never wake. The vegetative state will stay, but while she's breathing on her own there's a fight in there.”

The shock was so big, Denishar's heart had stopped and the current began warming up her organs. Her mother rushed to help but was also shocked.

Danishar's heart had stopped after a predicted 230 vaults passed through her body. Source: 7News

A neighbour heard Ms Harrison's cries for help rushed to the home to find the pair covered in water. The neighbour was also injured from the shock before calling paramedics who quickly arrived.

An EnergySafety investigation is under way into exactly what caused the tap to give off the shock.

Ms Harrison had complained of a burning electrical smell before her daughter turned this tap on Saturday. Source: 7News

EnergySafety director of electricity compliance Mike Bunko said last week the fault was likely an upstream “open circuit neutral", which could be caused by corrosion, a loose connection and in some cases, poor workmanship.

WA housing minister Peter Tinley said the Department of Housing was looking into the incident and cooperating with Energy Safety.

A GoFundMe campaign for the family, who are staying with relatives, has raised almost $9000 so far.