One Dog Died and Another Become 'Very Ill' Following Massachusetts Park Visit — After Apparently Ingesting Poison

"We have inspected the woods and have not found anything that is a current threat or source of alarm," West Newbury Animal Control said in an announcement on Facebook

<p>west newbury animal control/Facebook</p> West Newbury Animal Control Vehicle

west newbury animal control/Facebook

West Newbury Animal Control Vehicle

One dog died and another became "very ill" after apparently ingesting poison — possibly while going for a walk in a Massachusetts park over the weekend.

The City of Newportbury and the West Newbury Animal Control announced on Facebook this week that the two dogs "ate poison," which animal control shared at the time had been thrown out at the local Moseley Woods park, "on the sides of the trail behind a garage."

Both dogs were then taken to the veterinarian, and one of them died.

"At this time, we cannot confirm definitively whether the incident occurred within the woods or if other factors were involved," West Newbury Animal Control added in a Wednesday update.

"We have no reason to believe that anything was done to intentionally poison dogs. We have inspected the woods and have not found anything that is a current threat or source of alarm."

Related: Elderly Dog's Last Act of Love Was Playing Matchmaker for Mom and Pilot Who Got Them Home (Exclusive)

The office also noted that dogs may "encounter various hazards while exploring nature, such as mushrooms, eating sticks, etc.," and that "there is currently no identified risk posed intentionally to dogs in this area."

West Newbury Animal Control also encouraged local pet owners to "remain vigilant" when out with their dogs, to prevent them from eating anything they may find on the ground.

Animal control has been working alongside the local parks division and police department to investigate, with the dog’s owner and veterinarian assisting authorities. The parks division will "continue to keep an eye out at Moseley Woods."

"Our hearts go out to the affected owner during this time, and we extend our deepest sympathies to them," West Newbury Animal Control wrote.

Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE's free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.

If you suspect your pet has been poisoned, American Humane encourages pet owners to be prepared with a veterinarian’s telephone number, closely observe the animal and provide a history of symptoms to a veterinarian.

There are 232,000 cases of pet poisoning in the U.S. per year, most of which can be addressed via owner awareness, per American Humane.

"There are many things that can poison an animal," the organization notes. "Pesticides and insecticides are common in cases of intentional and accidental poisonings. Rodent poisons are also common."

"Because animals are attracted to its sweet taste, antifreeze can easily be used to taint an animal’s food or drink. In cases of antifreeze ingestion, look for florescent green vomit. Also, switching your vehicle to a low-toxicity brand of antifreeze can help reduce the risk of a fatal poisoning."

For more People news, make sure to sign up for our newsletter!

Read the original article on People.