One dead, two hospitalised after suspected mushroom poisoning

Victoria Police are reportedly not ruling out other toxic substances being in the drink.

A woman has died and two others are in hospital after ingesting a drink believed to have contained mushrooms at a health retreat.

Victoria Police confirmed to Yahoo News the 53-year-old woman became unwell from the drink and shortly died in Clunes, a town just 30 kilometres north of Ballarat in Victoria on Sunday.

"It is believed a woman was at a retreat on Fraser Street when she became ill after ingesting a drink about 12 am," a spokesperson said. The three people were at Soul Barn Creative Wellbeing Centre, The Age reports.

A suspected mushroom poisoning has occurred at Soul Barn Creative Wellbeing Centre in Ballarat Victoria, with towels and cushions lying on the floor of the alternative health retreat.
A woman has died and two others have been hospitalised after a suspected mushroom poisoning at Soul Barn Creative Wellbeing Centre near Ballarat, Victoria. Source: Instagram

The Ringwood North woman died at the scene while the two others were taken to a nearby hospital for observation.

It has been reported police are investigating whether it was a mushroom-based drink, however, other potentially toxic substances have not been ruled out.

"Investigations remain ongoing and police will prepare a report for the Coroner," the spokesperson said.

Ambulance Victoria confirmed to Yahoo that paramedics responded to reports of an incident in Clunes just after 11.50pm on Saturday night.

"Two people were transported by road ambulance to Ballarat Base Hospital," the spokesperson said.

Do you have a story tip? Email:

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Twitter and YouTube.