New restrictions have been implemented in Greater Melbourne after the emergence of a Covid-19 cluster in the city's north.
Acting Premier James Merlino confirmed a fifth case on Tuesday morning, prompting the state government to introduce measures to contain the virus's spread.
"This is about giving our contact traces the time they need to track this matter down and get on top of it," he told reporters.
From 6pm on Tuesday, all home gatherings will be limited to five people. Public gatherings will be capped at 30.
Masks must be warn in indoor public settings. All workplaces and secondary schools are included.
The Department of Health is still trying to determine whether this outbreak stems from a positive case detected earlier this month in the city's north. The man in that case, from Wollert, had previously been in hotel quarantine in South Australia.
"This is a responsible step that we need to take to get on top of this outbreak but importantly, the genomic sequencing has confirmed that this case, these cases, originate from the South Australia hotel quarantine outbreak," Mr Merlino said.
He said capacity limits on weddings, funerals and hospitality venues would not change however would provide further information on sporting fixtures and large-crowd events later.
However a planned easing of restrictions for venues on May 28 will be postponed, Mr Merlino said.
The latest case is a close contact of the original case in the latest cluster based in the suburb of Whittlesea.
Mr Merlino said he developed symptoms before the original Whittlesea case, indicating to authorities he could be a possible source case or a link to the Wollert case.
The latest case does not have any link however to the Wollert case's exposure sites.
Do you have a story tip? Email: email@example.com