Shock claims about carpark stabbing

Australian Police Tape
Police have charged a 23-year-old man with murder over a fatal stabbing. Picture: Supplied

A man charged with murder after a sprawling manhunt took a knife into a tavern before stabbing the victim in his own car, police allege.

Police were called to Hope Island shopping centre carpark at Santa Barbara Rd about 2.20pm on Monday following reports a man had been seriously assaulted.

Paramedics attempted to revive the man, since identified as Will Swinbourne, 21; however, he was declared dead at the scene.

The violent incident triggered a major police operation in the city, with officers swarming the Sanctuary Cove Golf Club in search of the allegedly armed offenders.

The manhunt was over within a couple of hours as two men, both aged 23, were taken into custody later that afternoon.

Haedyn Patrick Zachary Rawson, from Redbank Plains, was arrested about 5.30pm and has since been charged with murder.

Another 23-year-old Surfers Paradise man was also taken into custody but has since been released without charge.

During a later press conference, police alleged Mr Swinbourne was stabbed inside his car having attended a tavern with the alleged murderer.

“The victim’s attended the location to meet up with the defendant. It’s then happened very quickly,” a police spokesperson said.

“My understanding is the victims had only just arrived and then the incident has taken place.”

Police will allege in court that Mr Rawon attended the tavern armed with a common kitchen knife that was used in the attack.

Two men arrested over Hope Island stabbing. Picture: ABC
Two men have been arrested over the stabbing. Picture: ABC

He had been in the area for a music festival and was located by police after the alleged stabbing at a building site.

The second man, who has not been charged, later contacted police who attended his address.

Both men had “very little to no exposure” to police, while the victim did not have any criminal history.

As part of their investigation, police are also investigating whether the men were involved in dealing drugs.

Mr Rawson was refused police bail and is due to appear in Southport Magistrates Court on Tuesday.

The search for the alleged offenders briefly plunged locals into lockdown, with officers blocking the entrance to the golf club.

“There are maybe 100 people stuck in here right now and nobody can leave, the police are guarding everyone,” a golf club patron told The Courier Mail.

“There are uniformed cops, plainclothes officers, the dog squad... and a helicopter keeps flying really low over the course.”

Shoppers reported seeing dozens of police swarming on the centre as they attempted to locate the alleged offenders.