'Blood squirting everywhere': Mum wants product re-called after son severed tendon on drink dispenser

Krystal Johnson

A Sydney mother is urging Kmart to recall a glass drink dispenser after her two-year-old son severed his thumb on one the products.

Hunter Keremaro, who has since turned three, had blood squirting from his thumb last month when he tried to use the spout on one of the Kmart homebrand dispensers.

The toddler was rushed to hospital and underwent microsurgery on his right hand.

Hunter Keremaro severed his thumb on a drink dispenser and has to wear a glove to preschool after surgery. Photo: Tiahnee Kero/Supplied
Hunter Keremaro severed his thumb on a drink dispenser and has to wear a glove to preschool after surgery. Photo: Tiahnee Kero/Supplied

Hunter's stabilising tendon was severed and his hand will be in a cast for another four weeks. He was not able to open presents on his birthday and will not be able to unwrap any at Christmas either.

His mother, Tiahnee Keremaro, told 7 News Online how on November 27 she heard her son screaming and crying “mummy and mummy”.

She found him with blood squirting everywhere from his hand.

The 29-year-old wrapped her son's bloodied thumb in a tourniquet and rushed him to Campbelltown Hospital.

Hunter's stabilising tendon was severed and he had blood squirting from his thumb. Photo: Tiahnee Kero/Supplied
Hunter's stabilising tendon was severed and he had blood squirting from his thumb. Photo: Tiahnee Kero/Supplied

Doctors there weren’t able to help Hunter and the following day he was taken to Randwick Children's Hospital where he underwent day surgery.

Ms Keremaro said the metal spout on glass dispenser was paper-thin and wants the product re-called “so it doesn’t happen to another child”.

She took the product back to the Campbelltown store a few days after Hunter underwent surgery.

The Sydney mum recalled how the attendant cried when she heard the boy could not open gifts on his birthday and gave him a $100 gift card.

However, Kmart have not yet sent the product back to headquarters for testing and Ms Keremaro claims there has been a lack of communication from the company.

“It has been two weeks and I still haven’t heard back and the products are still on the shelves," Ms Keremaro said.

This 6.2 Litre Cork and Glass Drink Dispenser is still on shelves in Kmart and being sold for $19. Photo: Kmart
This 6.2 Litre Cork and Glass Drink Dispenser is still on shelves in Kmart and being sold for $19. Photo: Kmart

“Pull the product or have a big warning on it so the parents can be aware of what it does to kids.

“I just don’t want it happening to another child over Christmas.”

Ms Keremaro said her son is suffering “physically and mentally” because of the accident and again won’t be able to open his presents on Christmas.

"We walked into the hospital yesterday for a cast check-up, he had an anxiety attack and began screaming,” Ms Keremaro said.

“It was his birthday three days after the accident and he was unable to play with his toys."

Hunter must wear a cast for four weeks and won’t be able to open his presents on Christmas. Photo: Tiahnee Kero/Supplied
Hunter must wear a cast for four weeks and won’t be able to open his presents on Christmas. Photo: Tiahnee Kero/Supplied

The distraught mother said the preschool told her Hunter has "withdrawn and is not interacting with other children like he usually would".

The product of concern is a 6.2 litre Cork and Glass Drink Dispenser that is being sold for $19.

Seven News Online have contacted Kmart and are awaiting a statement.