Mum suffers horrific burns after being 'scalded by McDonald's drink'

Yahoo News Staff
·2-min read

WARNING - GRAPHIC IMAGES: A mum claims she has been left with horrific burns on her leg after being scaled by a cup of hot water from McDonald’s.

Rosie Chapman said on Twitter this week the incident occurred in her car on the morning of October 16 outside one of the fast food chain’s locations in Hertfordshire, north of London.

She has since posted numerous images of her burns on social media, tagging McDonald’s repeatedly and insisting they have ignored her claims.

In a Facebook post seen by The Sun, the 28-year-old said the cup had been “poorly put together” and claimed staff had initially refused to let her into the store for a wet towel or ice as she “screamed in pain”.

Pictured left is Rosie Chapman. Right is an image of the burns on her leg.
Rosie Chapman said on Twitter this week the incident occurred in her car on the morning of October 16 outside one of the fast food chain’s locations in Hertfordshire. Source: Facebook/Twitter

"After sitting on the floor in the bathroom with my skin blistering, I was crying, scared and in pain - and told to leave as it was closing time!

"I may possibly need a skin graft.

"Please explain why your staff are so poorly trained, your drinks could be hot enough to cause this and where the hell was any ounce of compassion for the pain and suffering I was dealing with."

A staff member from McDonald’s responded to one of the mum’s Tweets, saying they were “very sorry to see this”.

“Could you please DM us with the name of the restaurant and the date and time of your visit and what happened to you?” they wrote.

Ms Chapman said if they watched the store’s CCTV footage they would see “exactly how it all panned out”.

“I’m so upset with how little compassion any of the staff had that night,” she responded.

Pictured is the 28-year-old's leg with burns seen to most of her thigh.
The 28-year-old said she might need a skin graft to repair the burns. Source: Twitter

“I was not some teenager loitering outside being a nuisance. I'm a mother to three children. Who I can not care for in this moment in time!!”

Social media users shocked by the graphic images wished Ms Chapman a speedy recovery.

A McDonald's spokesperson told The Sun “the health and safety of our people and our customers is priority” and that they are “sorry to hear about this incident”.

"Having investigated the incident with the restaurant, we understand the team offered assistance to the customer as soon as they were made aware of what had happened.

"Our Customer Services Team is currently in contact with the customer."

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.