Mother races to bedside of seriously injured girl who crashed stolen car after police chase

The mother of a 17-year-old girl fighting for life after crashing a stolen car is flying from interstate to be by her bedside.

Lynda Jones admits her daughter Afrika did the wrong thing, but has also criticised bullies who have attacked the teenager online.

The 17-year-old was behind the wheel of a stolen Ford when she lost control on Main South Road in Adelaide and crashed into a concrete retaining wall.

Afrika remains in hospital. Source: 7 News
She was allegedly behind the wheel of this car. Source: 7 News

"There was a big massive screech and a loud, loud, loud bang," a witness said.

Police chased the stolen car after allegedly clocking it doing 96 kilometres in a 60 zone.

"Police activated their emergency lights and attempted to stop the vehicle; however, it failed to stop and sped off," Acting Inspector Scott Collins said.

Police are continuing to investigate the crash. Source: 7 News
There were no reports of other injuries. Source: 7 News

Police claim they had only chased the car for a matter of minutes and had lost sight of it when it crashed.

The 17-year-old driver remains in a critical condition while her 24-year-old passenger suffered minor injuries.

"Still touch and go the next 24 to 48 hours - very critical," her mother said.

"There's no guarantees at the moment that she's going to come out of it; we may still lose her."

Afrika may not make it. Source: 7 News

Lynda has lashed out at online bullies.

"She did wrong, we know she's done wrong, but you know bullying and saying nasty things, it's not really helping when your kid is in intensive care fighting for her life," she said.

"You don't know whether they're going to live or die."

Seaford residents are shocked by the horrific crash and say it's incredible an innocent young driver wasn't seriously injured or even killed.

Lynda Jones has slammed online bullies. Source: 7 News

"Could have killed heaps of innocent people," a witness said.

Lynda said she's "grateful no-one else was injured".

"She should have pulled over, she should have pulled over," she said.