A second case of the South African variant of Covid-19 has been confirmed in a recently returned overseas traveller in Queensland.
Queensland Chief Health Officer Dr Jeannette Young said the man in his 50s had travelled from South Africa, the UK and Qatar, and was currently in hospital.
The diagnosis comes after a woman tested positive to the South African variant earlier this week.
“This detection further highlights the importance of our hotel quarantine policy, especially for overseas travellers,” she said.
“Cases are rising at a rapid rate internationally and new variants like this one may be difficult to contain in the community. Our best approach is ensuring potential cases are detected where they pose no risk to other Queenslanders.”
Queensland reported no new Covid cases on Friday, however there are 13 active cases in the state.
Dr Young said the new variant would be difficult to contain in the community.
"Our best approach is ensuring potential cases are detected where they pose no risk to other Queenslanders," she said on Thursday afternoon.
Queensland Health on Thursday confirmed that routine testing found traces of coronavirus in wastewater at Bundamba in West Moreton and Merrimac on the Gold Coast.
Dr Young said continued positive sewage results were particularly concerning given new cases in the southern states.
"It is very important that anyone in the Bundamba and Merrimac catchments who has Covid-19 symptoms, no matter how mild, comes forward for testing," she said.
"With the NSW cluster growing and new cases in Victoria, it's better to be safe than sorry."
The Queensland border is closed to anyone who has been in the Covid declared hotspots of greater Sydney and surrounding areas in the past 14 days.
Border declaration passes are also needed for travellers who have visited NSW since December 11.
Do you have a story tip? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.