Researchers have come up with a name for what they call air pollution inside our homes - Toxic Home Syndrome.
Researchers from the University of Southampton in Britain have established that millions of homes in Britain have it - and it's the same story worldwide.
Toxic Home Syndrome often causes serious health issues from an invisible build up of pollutants and poisons triggered by everyday living.
This means that the place where we spend most of our time may be making us sick.
"This is likely to be a very significant health problem," said medical practitioner Professor Kerryn Phelps.
"We don't know the actual number because nobody has been able to measure it or looked to measure it in Australia."
A study conducted by the researchers at the British university suggests the country has over 15 million toxic homes.
The UK study found over 80 per cent of people will likely suffer a respiratory or dermatological illness due to the toxicity in their own homes.
Mould, pollen, radon, dead skin and carbon monoxide all build up indoors and mix with up to 900 other harmful chemicals - on top of millions of dustmites.
Depending on the type and load of exposure, the effects can range from eye irritation, rashes, and coughing to asthma, heart disease, and even cancer.
So what can we do to make our castles clean?
Ventilation is number one - letting fresh air in to take the toxic air out.
When it comes to mattresses, you can air them in full sun at least two or three times a year .
Other detoxifying tips for your home include taking off your shoes, dusting with a damp cloth.
Professor Phelps also recommends cutting back on cleaning chemicals.
"When you really look at it and you do an audit I think you can shock yourself as to how many chemicals you are potentially exposed too."
News break – February 11