Melissa Caddick's father-in-law speaks out over conwoman claims

Tom Flanagan
·News Reporter
·3-min read

The husband of alleged conwoman Melissa Caddick, whose foot washed up on a NSW beach after she went missing four months ago, still believes his wife is innocent, his father has revealed.

Ms Caddick, who lived in a luxury Dover Heights home in Sydney's affluent eastern suburbs with husband Anthony Koletti, is accused of misappropriating about $25 million of investors' funds.

Yet Mr Koletti, 41, believes his 49-year-old wife was set up after investigators descended on their home in November, his father, Rodo Koletti, told Channel Nine's 60 Minutes.

"He doesn't want to believe that the woman he loves and married is capable of it, but unfortunately the proof is stacking up so much against her," Rodo said.

Rodo said his son remained in a state of "denial" and had become "delusional".

Melissa Caddick (right) pictured with her husband, Anthony Koletti.
Melissa Caddick and her husband, Anthony Koletti, in 2015. Source: Facebook

"He believes she was set up and he was going to look at suing ASIC and everybody else for raiding their house and so on and so forth," the father said.

Rodo confirmed he and his son had no involvement whatsoever in Ms Caddick’s financial schemes.

"Anthony is a hairdresser... I don't believe he has the capacity to know what a financial scheme is," he said.

Liquidators say Ms Caddick "meticulously and systematically" deceived those who entrusted millions of investment dollars to her over seven years and used the money to fund her lavish lifestyle.

Police investigations into disappearance roll on

Ms Caddick vanished on November 12, hours after corporate watchdog ASIC raided her multimillion-dollar home.

Police have been left stumped over her disappearance, with a decomposed foot belonging to Ms Caddick the only significant clue investigators have to help determine when and where, if at all, she met her death.

The foot, placed in an Asics running shoe, was discovered on Bournda Beach, on the NSW South Coast, 400 kilometres south of her Sydney home.

On Monday, NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller said he believed Ms Caddick was dead.

"There's always a chance she cut her foot off and is still alive but that's pretty fanciful but nevertheless we haven't closed this case," he told 2GB.

He said there was "a slim chance" she was met with foul play.

While police say its modelling suggests the foot could have drifted to the South Coast if Ms Caddick had entered the water at her Dover Heights home, some senior investigators are skeptical.

Superintendent Joe McNulty, Commander of the NSW Marine Command, told The Daily Telegraph he didn't believe her foot had been in the water for three months due to its condition, fuelling speculation Ms Caddick was on the run for a period of time after her disappearance.

Assistant Commissioner Michael Willing previously said it was a "distinct possibility" Ms Caddick was on the run before her death.

He told reporters last month foul play against Ms Caddick was possible, but suicide was more likely.

On Friday, a search in waters near Dover Heights for remains of Ms Caddick was suspended.

Several other remains found along the NSW coastline have been ruled out by NSW Police as belonging to Ms Caddick.

Readers seeking support and information about suicide prevention can contact Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636, Lifeline on 13 11 14 or Suicide Call Back Service on 1300 659 467.

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.