Melissa Caddick mystery takes new turn as search focus shifts

Police divers were preparing to search for the remains of Melissa Caddick off the coast of Sydney's eastern suburbs before dangerous conditions on Wednesday afternoon postponed the operation.

Investigations returned to the area near Ms Caddick's Dover Heights home a day after NSW Police confirmed remains found at Mollymook Beach on the NSW South Coast last Friday did not belong to Ms Caddick.

Police on Wednesday advised those remains belonged to a 37-year-old man from Ingleburn who was reported missing last month. He was last seen at Kiama on February 1.

The discovery was one of five in recent weeks to be reported to police, with only the first on February 21 – an Asics running shoe with a decomposed foot inside – confirmed to be that of the 49-year-old businesswoman.

That discovery came 400km south of her Sydney home at Bournda Beach.

A police boat off the coast of NSW.
A police boat off the coast of South Head on Wednesday. Source: ABC

Two bones found on Saturday on Tura Beach, several kilometres north of where the foot was found, but have since been confirmed as animal bones.

Remains were also found at Cunjoring Point and Warrain Beach over the weekend, with testing ongoing to determine whether they belong to Ms Caddick or are even human.

A search in waters off South Head in Sydney is planned to take place on Thursday if conditions ease.

Police struggling to put together Caddick's last movements

One of the top police officers involved in the case says if Ms Caddick had died in Sydney and entered the water there, it was unlikely her body had travelled that far south.

Police say Melissa Caddick may have been alive for weeks after disappearing in November. Source: AAP
Police say Melissa Caddick may have been alive for weeks after disappearing in November. Source: AAP

Ms Caddick vanished the day after corporate watchdog ASIC executed a search warrant at her luxury home on November 11.

If her body had travelled that far, Superintendent Joe McNulty, Commander of the NSW Marine Command, told The Daily Telegraph the condition of her foot meant it appeared the remains hadn't been in the water for three months, adding further confusion to whether she had died by suicide or foul play was involved.

Assistant Commissioner Michael Willing said it was a "distinct possibility" Ms Caddick was on the run before her death.

He told reporters on Friday foul play against Ms Caddick was possible, but suicide was more likely.

Do you have a story tip? Email:

You can also follow us on Instagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.