Clapham: Man wanted over chemical attack named - as police say he has injuries to his face

Police have warned the public not to approach a man being hunted over a chemical attack on a woman and two girls in south London.

The suspect, named as Abdul Shokoor Ezedi, from Newcastle, has significant injuries to the right side of his face, according to police.

Ezedi, 35, was last seen in Caledonian Road in north London earlier on Thursday, officers said.

He is believed to have travelled down from Newcastle on Wednesday before the attack near Clapham Common and could be heading back, according to police.

Both Northumbria Police and the British Transport Police are helping the Metropolitan Police with the manhunt.

Officers have also confirmed a car involved in the attack belonged to Ezedi, while the substance used in the attack was alkaline.

Clapham chemical attack latest: Manhunt under way for suspect

A 31-year-old mother and her three-year-old daughter, alongside her other daughter, aged eight, remain in hospital following the incident.

The mother and the younger child may have suffered life-changing injuries, according to police.

They say the suspect was known to the woman and described the attack as "targeted".

A total of 12 people were hurt during the incident, including the mother and her two children, and five police officers who were injured as they responded.

Read more from Sky News:
Man, 44, charged with murder over Bristol teen stabbings
Brand says 'appalling' rape allegations 'very hurtful'

Three women - two in their 30s and one in her 50s - were also injured when they came to the aid of the woman and her two children.

They have all been discharged from hospital with minor burns injuries.

A man in his 50s, who also helped, declined hospital treatment for minor injuries he suffered.

Officers say Ezedi attempted to make off from the scene in a car following the incident, but crashed with another vehicle, and then made off on foot in the direction of Clapham Common.

'We will catch him'

Superintendent Gabriel Cameron, of the Metropolitan Police, gave a statement at a news conference held at the scene on Thursday, in which he urged people not to approach Ezedi.

"If you see him [Ezedi], I plea do not approach him," he said.

"And if you see him, call 999. He has significant injuries to the right side of his face."

Asked if he would be caught, Superintendent Cameron added: "We have got a significant asset looking for this man.

"We will catch him. I am wholeheartedly confident."

Metropolitan Police Commissioner, Sir Mark Rowley, earlier described the incident as "ghastly" and said a "live manhunt" was under way.

"It is understanding that it is frightening. Fortunately, attacks using acid and chemicals are exceedingly rare," he told BBC Radio London.

He also praised the bravery of his officers who attended the incident, as well as the witnesses who intervened.

CCTV of attack

It comes after footage emerged of the attack, which took place in Lessar Avenue shortly before 7.30pm on Wednesday.

The CCTV footage shows a man running around a car before getting into the driver's seat, with a woman and child in front of the vehicle holding their hands to their faces.

In the video, a car is driven at the woman and strikes her, before a man stops the vehicle and gets out. He opens the back door and appears to remove a child, before violently throwing them to the ground.

The video also appears to show people from neighbouring properties leaving their homes to chase the man down the road.

'It was all so traumatising'

Eyewitnesses, meanwhile, have described what they saw.

One witness, who asked to remain anonymous, told Sky News: "There was a man in a white car with two children. It looked like he tried to run over a woman. They had been fighting.

"One girl in the back had her hand on the window - you can see the mark on the car.

"He grabbed one of the two children and violently grabbed them and slammed them on the floor.

"The lady then shouted: 'My eyes! My eyes! Call the police, my eyes!'

"Then I saw him run off. It was all so traumatising."

Another witness described how he tried to wash the chemical from the woman's face.

"The man then threw something at the woman. She was screaming: 'My eyes! My eyes!'

"I then ran into my house, grabbed a water bottle and threw water on her eyes. Her lips were black. Her skin looked burnt."

A resident, who lives near to the scene of the incident, described the incident as "horrific, absolutely horrific".

"It is unbelievable that someone would do that to other people," he told Sky News.