Man named after alleged CBD shooting

Sinve Vulic is charged with shooting a man in Sydney’s CBD on February 28. Picture: NCA NewsWire / Gaye Gerard

A 79-year-old man has been identified for the first time after he allegedly shot a solicitor in the groin inside his Sydney office.

Sinve Vulic appeared in Sydney Downing Centre Local Court on Thursday over the alleged attempted murder of Van Cooney.

Police allege he entered the offices of Van Cooney Lawyers in Sydney’s CBD after midday on Wednesday and shot the eponymous lawyer in the groin.

He had allegedly been carrying a sawn off M1 carbine semiautomatic rifle and .22 calibre handgun inside a bag when he entered the building on Castlereagh St.

The 79-year-old does not have a permit for the weapons and is forbidden from possessing any guns under a prohibition order, according to police allegations.

Police claim in the court documents that he intended to murder Mr Cooney when he shot at him in his own ninth level offices.

Sinve Vulic has been charged with shooting a man in Sydney’s CBD. Picture: NCA NewsWire / Gaye Gerard
Van Cooney was allegedly shot in his office on Wednesday. Picture: NCA NewsWire / Christian Gilles

Heroic employees, including the injured solicitor, managed to hold down the alleged gunman until police arrived at 12.50pm.

Mr Vulic was charged with shoot at with intent to murder, two counts of acquire etc pistol-subject to firearms prohibition order, two counts of possess loaded firearm endanger life non-public place, and two counts of possess unauthorised prohibited firearm.

He has not yet entered pleas to the charges.

On Thursday, his lawyer Ken Buckman appeared in Sydney Downing Centre Local Court to ask for his client to receive medical assistance from Justice Health.

Magistrate Ian Guy responded that all inmates on remand are “screened as they come in” and he would “leave it at that”.

Mr Vulic will remain in custody on remand until he returns to court in May.

His 77-year-old alleged victim is in a stable condition in hospital.

Police told media on Wednesday they had so far been unable to clarify the relationship between the alleged gunman and the victim.