Man 'threatening people with crossbow' shot dead by police in southeast London

A man has died after being shot by officers in southeast London, the Metropolitan Police has said.

The man, believed to be in his 30s, was reportedly armed with weapons including a crossbow and was threatening to harm residents inside an address in Southwark in London, according to police.

The force said: "Local officers attended and attempted to speak to the man but, after being threatened, armed officers were called and quickly attended the scene.

"The man had got inside the property, and a police firearm was discharged.

"Officers and paramedics from the London Ambulance Service immediately provided first aid but sadly the man died at the scene."

Two people in the house in Bywater Place suffered minor injuries, police said.

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) watchdog has launched an investigation, as is standard when there is a fatal police shooting.

Detective Chief Superintendent Seb Adjei-Addoh said: "My thoughts are with all those affected by this incident.

"I understand the local community will be concerned at the events that have taken place this morning. We will fully support the IOPC investigation into the full circumstances of what happened."

A spokesperson for the IOPC said: "We have begun an independent investigation into the circumstances surrounding the fatal shooting of a man by the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) earlier this morning in Southwark, south London.

"We were notified by the MPS after the incident, which occurred shortly before 5am, and declared an independent investigation at around 6.40am.

"We have sent investigators to the scene and the police post-incident procedure to begin gathering evidence.

"Our investigation is in its very early stages."

Read more UK news:
DUP agrees deal with UK government
Earthquake strikes Scottish island

Fatal police shootings in the UK are relatively rare - there were three in the year to 31 March 2023.

The most recent was the death of Giedrius Vasiljevas, 40, who was shot dead in November at his home in Dagenham, east London, after calling 999 to say he had loaded guns and planned to take his own life.