Update after cop stabbed in head

A man has been charged with the attempted murder of a cop after he allegedly stabbed the officer in the head near Hyde Park.

A man chased down and tasered by police after allegedly stabbing an officer in the head multiple times in broad daylight in Sydney’s CBD will remain behind bars on remand.

Okan Ozcan, 34, did not appear before Downing Centre Local Court on Monday as he faces a single charge of wounding or causing grievous bodily harm with intent to murder.

Police allege Mr Ozcan stabbed Constable Elvis Poa multiple times while he was on patrol shortly after 1pm on Sunday afternoon, before fleeing into nearby Hyde Park.

Mr Ozcan’s lawyer told Deputy Chief Magistrate Sharon Freund the 34-year-old would not be applying for release on bail, with the matter instead set to return to court on July 9.

SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - NewsWire Photos - 20 MAY, 2024: Constable Elvis Poa – aged 35 and attached to Kings Cross Police Area Command – was treated by NSW Ambulance paramedics for two wounds to his head after being attacked on Elizabeth Street in Sydney's CBD. Picture: NewsWire handout
Constable Elvis Poa was stabbed in the head in Sydney’s CBD. Picture: NewsWire

Constable Elvis Poa and another officer were conducting traffic duties at Castlereagh and Park St when he was approached from behind by a man shortly after 1pm on Sunday.

Police allege Mr Ozcan stabbed the male constable in the head before fleeing into Hyde Park where he was tasered and apprehended by the injured officer and a female constable.

The injured 35-year-old police officer – who has since been identified as constable Elvis Poa – was treated at the scene by NSW Ambulance paramedics for two wounds to his head.

He was taken to St Vincent’s Hospital, where scans have since revealed he suffered two skull fractures and remains in a stable condition, according to updates made on Monday.

A man has been charged with attempted murder after a NSW Police officer was allegedly stabbed in the head multiple times near Hyde Park.

Police on the corner of Bathurst and Elizabeth Sts near Hyde Park after an officer was allegedly stabbed twice in the head by a knife-wielding man in Sydney CBD on Sunday. Picture: NewsWire / Monique Harmer

Mr Ozcan was arrested and taken to Royal Prince Alfred Hospital under police guard for assessment. He was later released before being refused bail and taken into custody.

Documents tendered to court allege the Auburn man was in possession of two knives at the time of the alleged attack, and that he was charged with having a knife in public.

Police closed main thoroughfares through Sydney’s CBD on Sunday following the attack, with crime scenes since established at the intersection of Castlereagh and Park streets.

On Sunday, Detective Superintendent Martin Fileman told reporters the Mr Ozcan was known to police but had “no real serious criminal history” or mental uinless.

The injured officer was taken to St Vincent’s Hospital where he remains in a stable condition. Picture: NewsWire / Monique Harmer
The man allegedly stabbed a male constable in the head, fleeing along Park Street and into Hyde Park as officers directed him to drop the knife.. Picture: NewsWire / Monique Harmer

“It just shows you the type of training that we go through … We’re faced with a situation that if an officer is injured, that they keep going,” said Superintendent Fileman.

Deputy Premier Prue Car joined leaders praising the actions of police, telling Channel 7’s Sunrise on Monday the officer was in a stable condition and applauding his courage.

“I just want to say on behalf of the government to this officer, (it was) just incredible, brave stuff that we saw,” she said.

“He actually ran towards the (alleged) offender while he was waiting for other officers to come to his aid.

“That’s the training and the bravery of our NSW police officers, (it is) is second to none.”

The 34-year-old alleged attacker has been charged with cause wounding/grievous bodily harm to person with intent to murder. Picture: NewsWire / Monique Harmer