A man has been left shocked after his $15 Kmart bathroom scales "exploded in his hands," leaving "sticky" fragments all over the floor.
Jean Franco Vilaro, from Sydney, said he was cleaning his bathroom on Friday and went to lift the digital scales up when they shattered.
"[There was] glass all over my clothes, hair, the carpet - but I am fine," Mr Vilaro told 7 News Online.
Mr Vilaro said while he is thankful he was not injured, he is concerned at what could have happened if children were around.
Photos show the entire centre of the digital scales missing and hundreds of glass chunks on the floor.
Mr Vilaro snapped a photo of the base of the item, with a clearly marked label saying the scales have a load capacity of 150 kilograms.
He was offered a refund from Kmart, but said he is still waiting on a response on whether they can reimburse him for carpet cleaning costs.
"They said they would call me again but nothing so far," Mr Vilaro said.
"I know it's $15 and all, but at least make it quality rather than quantity."
A Kmart spokesperson told 7 News Online customers should get in contact with the customer servcie centre if they have any "enquiries relating to products."
"At Kmart, we’re committed to ensuring all products we sell are fully compliant with regulations and safety standards," the spokesperson said.
"Our quality team have fully investigated and we’ve spoken to the customer."